Experiencing hair loss after pregnancy can be a tough experience for many new mothers.
It is perfectly normal to have hair fall, or rather, hair loss, after delivery. Some women even face balding after giving birth.
Here is a detailed blog on postpartum hair loss, the causes, and the preventive measures to minimize massive hair loss after pregnancy.
Table of Contents
Hair fall after delivery reason/ causes
While it is absolutely normal to face hair loss after pregnancy, there are a few factors that play a major role in causing it.
1. Hormonal changes:
Women go through hormonal changes often, especially during and after delivery. During pregnancy, hormonal changes cause an increase in estrogen levels, which keeps the hair follicles in the growing stage for prolonged periods of time.
That is why most women experience less hair fall and healthier hair during pregnancy. But the oestrogen levels drastically go down, causing major hair loss after pregnancy.
Stress plays a major role in causing extreme hair fall after pregnancy. With a newborn who completely depends on the mother, many women undergo extreme hormonal changes that trigger hair fall.
This stress is a major cause of postpartum hair loss, resulting in significant hair loss after pregnancy.
3. Nutritional deficiencies:
Nutritional deficiencies such as iron deficiency, biotin, folate, etc., contribute to hair loss. Most pregnant women only give importance to their vitamins and other supplements during pregnancy leading to nutritional deficiencies.
4. Health issues:
Sometimes underlying health issues like anaemia, thyroid, etc. can be the cause of continued hair loss after pregnancy Remember to consult with a doctor regarding this.
How to prevent hair loss after pregnancy?
Now that we know the possible causes of hair fall after pregnancy, let’s look into how we can prevent it.
1. Understanding the Hair Growth Cycle: Understanding the hair growth cycle is critical for addressing postpartum hair loss. Hair shedding is reduced during pregnancy due to increased estrogen levels.
Hormone levels return to normal after childbirth, prompting stored hair to slough, resulting in temporary hair thinning.
2. Diet: A nutritious diet that contains all the essential nutrients and it is extremely important when it comes to health and hair most importantly.
Focus on eating foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein like leafy greens, lean meats, nuts, and fruits. A balanced diet supports the health and growth of hair follicles.
3. Stay hydrated: Adequate hydration is important, especially after giving birth. Dehydration causes hair loss and restricts hair growth.
Nursing mothers should drink about 8-12 cups of water every day for overall well-being and to reduce hair loss.
4. De-stress: Managing stress levels is yet another benefit of helping regulate hormonal imbalances.
Practise various relaxation techniques such as mindfulness, meditation, and breathing exercises. Make time for regular, gentle or moderate exercise. This also helps reduce stress.
5. Supplements : Taking postnatal supplements is yet another important thing for controlling hair loss.
Doctors recommend supplements like:
- Vitamin B complex and/or biotin (B7)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
These nutrients may already be included in the postpartum recovery plan. So it is a better idea to consult with a doctor before taking any dietary supplement.
6. Reduce heat usage : Do not overuse hair styling products such as a hair dryer, straightener, or any other tool because heating tools contribute to hair loss. Also, when using hot tools, remember to use a hair protectant.
7. Use the right accessories: Wearing hair accessories that are overly tight might also contribute to hair fall. Wearing tight ponytails or other tight hairstyles is not recommended.
8. Consult with a doctor: If the hair loss is beyond control despite having nutritious meals, taking supplements and other above-mentioned things, consult with your doctor as soon as possible.
Hair treatment after giving birth
Before opting for any kind of hair treatment,it is recommended to wait for a few weeks after pregnancy.
No extra treatment is needed as the hair loss after pregnancy is a natural and temporary process.
When it comes to treatments for hair loss, here are a few tips/treatments that controls hair loss:
1. Products: Although having a nutritious diet is more important than any other eternal things for hair fall, it is equally important to use a shampoo with no harmful chemicals like parabens and sulphates along with a conditioner.
2. Scalp massage: It is stated that scalp massage helps lowers hair fall. Apply oil to the roots of the hair and massage for a few minutes and wash it off in a few minutes with a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Repeat this at least once a week for better results.
3. Use voluminous products: If the hair looks very thin or lacks volume, try out voluminous products to make it look fuller.
4. Brushing the hair: Another vital step is to brush and detangle the hair every night before bed. Tangled hair only contributes to hair loss. Remember to never brush the hair while it’s still wet to avoid breakage.
To prevent hair loss after pregnancy, it is important to have a well-balanced and nutritious diet along with plenty of water throughout the day.
External product application cannot stop hair fall if the food intake is not nutritious with vital vitamins and other nutrients.
Hair loss after pregnancy is a normal process and is temporary. Within a few weeks after delivery, the hair loss will reduce on its own.
But if there is an excessive hair fall, consult with a doctor ASAP.
Chennai Women’s Clinic is now Jammi Scans